Sunday, September 14, 2014

Media Madness

The second article that I  have chosen to review and use for my project is entitled "A Qualitative Examination on the Impact of Social Media of Media Relations Practices" found in the PR Journal located on the PRSA website.

The article discusses how public relations has integrated social media into part of its daily practice and how social media has become a major tool for public relations practitioners to have at their disposal. Due to the fact that the majority of an audience is active on social media, it is important that a business or organization have a presence on all social media platforms as a way to stay informed and connected with their audience. However, when it comes to the idea of media relations, the use of social media is almost non existent. This is due to the fact that, according to the article, journalists prefer to get their information from a direct source rather than a "timeline" or "feed". The article proceeds to do a case study discussing the relationship between journalists and public relations practitioners and how it can be improved by integrating social media into the field of media relations.

Media Relations plays a huge role in Public Relations and promotion. In order for my event to reach a large audience, I need to contact local media sources. Knowing how to build an element of trust with the media, as discussed in this article, will help me as I draw nearer to the event. Social media can be a huge help in terms of promotion and I plan to use it as a tool when promoting my event. Learning how social media is changing the way relationships are built in the realm of public relations has been helpful to me as I begin to create a media list as well as discover who my audience really is.

No comments:

Post a Comment